** See all the Banners **
Old 02-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Joe92t
Tuner

Joe92t will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Joe92t
Intercooler Plumbing Questions

So im planning to replace some more of my factory worm gear clamps with T-Bolt Clamps and had a question here...

I was thinking of replacing the worm gear clamp on the throttlebody itself with a T-Bolt clamp... However upon further research i found out that our throttlebody is 57MM which comes out to just about 2.24 Inches.... The only T-Bolt clamps that i currently have are 2.5" Tbolts

I shouldnt even attempt to do this then correct?? Because it looks like even though all the other tubing is 2.5 the throttlebody itself is 2.24 inches and I dont want to go through the HUGE PITA to remove the throttlebody worm gear clamp just to find out that my 2.5" Tbolt is too big and wont tighten all the way... Then have to put it back too how it was in the beginning.

Also call me crazy but ive also been told to litereally spray Hair Spray on my intercooler couplers and joints because Hair Spray is basically Aerosol Super Glue and turns very hard and will stop any leaks whatsoever from occuring between the joints. Is this being crazy?
Old 02-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
jadenstate
I love noodles this much!

jadenstate is on a distinguished road
Re: Intercooler Plumbing Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe92t View Post
So im planning to replace some more of my factory worm gear clamps with T-Bolt Clamps and had a question here...

I was thinking of replacing the worm gear clamp on the throttlebody itself with a T-Bolt clamp... However upon further research i found out that our throttlebody is 57MM which comes out to just about 2.24 Inches.... The only T-Bolt clamps that i currently have are 2.5" Tbolts

I shouldnt even attempt to do this then correct?? Because it looks like even though all the other tubing is 2.5 the throttlebody itself is 2.24 inches and I dont want to go through the HUGE PITA to remove the throttlebody worm gear clamp just to find out that my 2.5" Tbolt is too big and wont tighten all the way... Then have to put it back too how it was in the beginning.

Also call me crazy but ive also been told to litereally spray Hair Spray on my intercooler couplers and joints because Hair Spray is basically Aerosol Super Glue and turns very hard and will stop any leaks whatsoever from occuring between the joints. Is this being crazy?

I believe that 2.24 is the inside diameter and a 2.5 clamp should work. My understanding of clamps is that they have a bit of give in either direction. Hopefully someone can confirm this...
2008 Black CSRT4 #3895 OF 5674
RT MS1K ~ 525 Injectors ~ RT pnp clamp ~ Mpx Race Inserts ~ Eibach Lowering Springs ~ Energy Suspension Bushings ~ MPX Strut Tower Brace ~
~ Custom DP and straight pipe ~ AGP uppipe and Greddy BOV ~ AGP FMIC ~ SB stage 3 clutch ~ AEM Wideband ~ Scangauge ~ Autometer Boost gauge ~ Hankook Ventus V12 ~ Isimple Ipod integration cable ~
Paperweights to date: MS1, Stock TB, CM stage 3 clutch, stock boost guage
jadenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
ameldorf
Butterfly Kisses

ameldorf will become famous soon enough
Re: Intercooler Plumbing Questions

I had a 2.5 t-bolt on the throttle body. It was a pain in the dick to put on and remove a couple of times. I ended up taking it off and used a worm clamp. The size of the t-bolt and how little space there is around the throttle body makes it tough to work with.

April 2012, June 2013, and August 2014 COTM

2013 Car of the Year
ameldorf is offline   Reply With Quote