** See all the Banners **
Old 02-18-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
MclovinCSRT4

Turbo heat shield

I took off the stock heat shield when I put on my agp waste gate actuator. Was wondering if it's good for the car if I leave it off and travel long distance over 300 miles with it off

Old 02-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
d3v1ld0g
SRT racer

d3v1ld0g is on a distinguished road
Re: Turbo heat shield

Quote:
Originally Posted by MclovinCSRT4 View Post
I took off the stock heat shield when I put on my agp waste gate actuator. Was wondering if it's good for the car if I leave it off and travel long distance over 300 miles with it off
Been driving my car without it for like 2 months, been fine...
Performance Mods: MS1K/ CM Stage 3 Clutch/ Magnaflow Cat-Back Exhaust/ Maxxfab Catted DP/ Aeroforce Scangauge/ Turbo-XS BoV/ Step Colder NGK Iridium Spark Plugs/ K&N Drop In/ RM Drag Springs/MPx Strut Bar
Appearance Mods: DEPO Black Headlights/ 350z Track Edition 18'' wheels/ Smoked Rear Tail Lights/Sun Tek 25% front and 5% back tinted windows
d3v1ld0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
MclovinCSRT4

Have you taken it on a drive over 300 miles non stop with it off?

Old 02-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Tara@InlineCarbon
Supporting Vendor

Tara@InlineCarbon is on a distinguished road

20,000 miles no issue, big turbo 3,000 miles no issue. It's really not needed and is more of a pita then anything.

For all your retrofit needs contact
eMail: Sales@InlineCarbon.com
Toll Free: 1-800-803-1062

Tara@InlineCarbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
srt4chop
Porkchop

srt4chop is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to srt4chop Send a message via MSN to srt4chop

had mine off for about 6k now and nothing..
#591 in 08
#672 Global
SOLD and miss the damn thing:

Current :1990 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L Bright Island Blue with Silver Stripes
srt4chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #6
mykturk
Supporting Vendor

mykturk is on a distinguished road

Seems I'd read here that there was a HP boost with the heat shield on. It makes sense since the turbo spins because of heat, not exhaust flow. The design clearly has more to do with heat retention than shielding when you really look at it. So, does it "hurt" anything is a relative term. Not having it may "hurt" horsepower a little.

When you do the impossible before breakfast, the rest of the day is easy.
Support Autism Research!!!_____________________________________

MS1Kv2, MPX catted downpipe and dual exhaust, K&N drop in, Woody be checkin' the valve, a set of them cooler NGK thingies, blah blah blah...
mykturk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
eric08csrt4
srt driver

eric08csrt4 is on a distinguished road

this has been answered before , doesnt matter if its on or off, its if u like the look of it or not lol

08 csrt4 14.3@105

98 gtp 3.4 pulley,1.9s, 105s, intercooler, tog headers, hogan cat back , 3.29s w/ shift kit , aero, wideband

83 Z28 Edelbrock 64 cc heads , performer intake , Edelbrock carb, 280H comp cams hyd flt tppt, summit 1.5 roller rockers, forged speed pro fly cut pistons, 10.5:1 CR, hedman headers, 5 spd , 3.73 detroit locker posi
eric08csrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
mouser
Fixing wretched humans

mouser will become famous soon enoughmouser will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to mouser Send a message via MSN to mouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykturk View Post
Seems I'd read here that there was a HP boost with the heat shield on. It makes sense since the turbo spins because of heat, not exhaust flow. The design clearly has more to do with heat retention than shielding when you really look at it. So, does it "hurt" anything is a relative term. Not having it may "hurt" horsepower a little.
Wait. What????

It's all about exhaust flow. Not exhaust temperature. Shield won't do squat for it.

But the heat shield will protect your paint, local electronics and sensors, windshield washer lines from the heat. Won't make a difference as the car moves, but sitting in heady traffic in summer? I'll keep my paint thank you.

WM Camber Arms, WM LCA, WM Rear Brace

COTM 11/2012, 06/2014

My Car: Member Rides Index and template
Caliber SRT4 RegistryCommon Mod Resources
mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:33 AM   #9
Ltromance
Cbest199 - u mad bro?

Ltromance is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Wait. What????

It's all about exhaust flow. Not exhaust temperature. Shield won't do squat for it.

But the heat shield will protect your paint, local electronics and sensors, windshield washer lines from the heat. Won't make a difference as the car moves, but sitting in heady traffic in summer? I'll keep my paint thank you.
But!!! Ex turbo blankets.

They are designed tO keep the churbo (turbo - just for kicks) and exhaust air hotter so the air can expand more and "act larger" to create more flow over the turbine resulting in "SLIGHTLY" faster boost......

But then again that is only one manufacturers findings. Noone is to say it will work.

In my findings, the upper charge pipe was significantly cooler while running with the heatshield, making the air in the pipe hotter, and making everything past that point hotter as well. (within reason)
MS1K JMB FMIC, JMB Fuel Rail, AGP WGA/Oil Catch Can, JMB SRI, BWoody CHECK valve, SLR vacfold, RT PNP 5V CLAMP, 525cc injectors, RT Thermostat, Full CP-e turbo back, Coil Cover, HKS BOV & Blue Plate, HBK, Turbo XS MSBC ,Dual interceptors w/ W/b kit, Solenoid delete, Rear mount battery, Partial wire tuck, RT Endlinks and Camber Arms, BC Coilovers, RT Toe Links. N2MB WOT Box, JMB Subframe Brace, Progress Rear Sway.
Ltromance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
ericksrt4
SRT racer

ericksrt4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Wait. What????

Ive gone through 3 summers without it in south florida(i imagine it gets a bit warmer here then in canada) and my paint and all my lines are still the same as the day i bought them.

The heat shield is in no way keeping heat in. After a couple minutes it heats up so much it becomes an extension of the heat if anything. Its purpose was to cover and protect the turbo from outside things, not the other way around.

Last edited by ericksrt4 : 02-19-2012 at 09:03 AM.
ericksrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote