** See all the Banners **
Old 12-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
ericksrt4
SRT racer

ericksrt4 is on a distinguished road
Which coolant to use?

Recently ive noticed my coolant level slowly dropping lower and lower. Do you have to use the mopar coolant from the dealer, or can you use one of the types that they sell at autozone for half the price?

ericksrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Floaten621
Missouri Representative!!

Floaten621 will become famous soon enough
Re: Which coolant to use?

i would stick with the chrysler coolant. The have the correct level of nitrite's and so on. I have not had good luck using any make/model coolant. Unless you drain the entire system...and or flush.

Now back to loosing coolant. It is common among aluminum head vehicles. They do not seal perfect until the engine is up to temp and you can burn alittle coolant from time to time. Nothing to worry about. My car and my wifes both had to have the overflow bottle refilled about every 20k or so.

What???? It just has some bolt on's.
Floaten621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Edm-Fireball

We have aluminum radiator so u need to use orange coolant with "organic acids" I use Zerex G-05. Its found almost everywhere at lower than stealership prices!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
ericksrt4
SRT racer

ericksrt4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floaten621 View Post
i would stick with the chrysler coolant. The have the correct level of nitrite's and so on. I have not had good luck using any make/model coolant. Unless you drain the entire system...and or flush.

Now back to loosing coolant. It is common among aluminum head vehicles. They do not seal perfect until the engine is up to temp and you can burn alittle coolant from time to time. Nothing to worry about. My car and my wifes both had to have the overflow bottle refilled about every 20k or so.
I wasnt worried about losing coolant. Im actually a little surprised that it took almost 36000 miles before it needed to be replenished. I just dont feel like payin a fortune for the mopar coolant

ericksrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
RatherNotSay

does the mopar coolant need to be mixed or is it just pour and forget?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Floaten621
Missouri Representative!!

Floaten621 will become famous soon enough

mixed 50/50 comes straight

What???? It just has some bolt on's.
Floaten621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:17 PM   #7
James T's CSRT-4
SRT racer

James T's CSRT-4 is on a distinguished road

From what I understand, there is no direct aftermarket fluid availible. Mopar calls it HOAT, for hybrid organic antifreeze treatment, or something like that. It is red, not to be confused with the DexCool fluids. I just bought mine from the dealer to save myself the hassle of looking elsewhere for a similar antifreeze, which I have never been able to find anyway...
#3501/5674
-Inferno Red
-Kicker
-Sunroof
-Polished wheels with F1's
-MS1
-Mopar High Flow Drop-in
-Colder plugs
-MPx Ninja strut brace
-Clear Bra
-Inline Carbon Splash Guard

Original Owner, Last owner